Documentary evidence is available to certify that the Laune Anglers’
Association existed as an active fishing club on the river Laune in
the year 1912, but later became dormant.
Association was re-established under the title Laune Salmon Anglers’
Association, with its headquarters in Milltown, Co. Kerry.
Brothers in Milltown; the Parish Priest of Milltown, Fr. J.
McCloskey, and Secondary School Teacher Gabriel Gallagher, were
mainly responsible for the active re-emergence of the club. Though
the club was officially re-named ‘The Laune Salmon Anglers’
Association’ in 1963, it is still referred to locally, and
throughout the county, as ‘The Milltown Club’, due to having its
roots in Milltown.
Existing records show that, in the year 1963, the following were
responsible for the Association’s active resurgence: